Work Smarter Not Harder
This post originally appeared as an answer on Quora HERE.
- Take the first parking spot you see. Period.
- When vacationing with kids, order supplies like formula and diapers from Amazon and have it delivered to your hotel so it’s waiting for you when you get there.
- Buy a new car with a warranty: the poorest people end up spending the most money on cars when they purchase the cheapest one they can find that constantly needs repairs. $500 here, $1000 there. Sometimes trying to save money costs you too much.
- Starbucks mobile app when you are 2 minutes away. Or even waiting in a long line. As soon as the order comes through its added to the queue, and skips the line you are standing in.
- Services like that do your clothes shopping for you, sends you a trunk, try Clubon what you like and return what you don’t like by returning the trunk. UPS deliveries it and picks it up from your house. Not a necessity but MUCH better than going to the mall. IF you do have to go to the mall, take the first parking spot you see.
- Automate savings and investing. Whether it’s a pay check or other income source. Set up automatic transfers or withdrawal into another account for Future You. Set it and forget it (but maybe review it once a year and reallocate where necessary)
- Don’t worry about trying to make a quick return on investments, instead focus on DCA or Dollar Cost Averaging. Be the tortoise, not the hare.
- Never stop learning. Turn your car into a university on wheels. This means no more talk radio, instead replace it with audio books. Or better yet download AUDIBLE and subscribe to get discounts and 2 free books
- If you don’t drive then do this on your work commute. When you walk the dogs. When you work out. Be more efficient with your time. Never waste time.
- If you aren’t handy, hire a handyman. Whatever you do in life to make your money you are better at than trying to fix the toilet or repair an outlet. Spend your hours doing your thing so you can afford to pay others to do theirs.
- Wake up early. Exercise. Meditate. Eat well. Take care of your body. Be nice to others. Stay humble. Work hard even if you are smarter. Everyone I know who does these things are happier people.